First though I would work on the fences, and as I wanted to do lots of them, I was going to do them "cookie cutter" style. I purchased some bamboo skewers, got the tacky glue, clippers and a miniature to use as a guide and went to work on a prototype. I rough cut out a template (might do up another one to make it a little "cleaner"), then lots of short supports and long beams for my first batch.
I settled on a 11" long, three section fence for the bulk of my fencing (I'll do a few two section ones so as to be able to vary the fenced off sections). I wanted the fence to be high so brought the top up to a figure's shoulders.
With the prototype done, I cranked out six more sections, with one of being a gate. Though before doing anymore I decided to base and paint them up in case I needed to make any more changes.
For the basing, I wanted to have a small footprint, so instead of a section of cardstock, I went with a couple of washers in the middle and a blob of hot glue for the outer posts.
It work out well, except I inadvertently weakened the gate section and had to glob a lot of glue on to give it some strength. The downside to the washers is that I think the fences are "game weak" and won't stand up to much of your typically wargamer handling ... but the are easily fixable so onto the paint!